Tensions between the United States and Iran escalated Tuesday after Iran launched multiple ballistic missiles toward a U.S. military base in Jordan, marking the first such attack since President Donald Trump paused military strikes against Iran to allow diplomatic negotiations to continue.
According to U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM), all of the incoming missiles were successfully intercepted, and no casualties or damage were reported. Officials described the attack as an “attempted surprise attack” carried out by Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).
The missile strike comes just days after President Trump said the U.S. was engaged in “very deep talks” with Iran but warned that military action could resume if diplomacy fails. “Not much time,” Trump said when asked how long he would allow negotiations to continue. “Either it goes fast or not at all.”
Later Tuesday, CENTCOM announced that U.S. and Saudi fighter aircraft conducted coordinated strikes on multiple logistics and weapons sites in eastern Iraq. The military said the operation was in response to more than 30 drone attacks directed by the IRGC against U.S. forces over the previous 72 hours. Saudi Arabia confirmed its participation in the operation.
CENTCOM stated that attacks by Iran-backed militias against U.S. personnel had been unsuccessful but warned that continued aggression could prompt additional military action. The command also noted that hundreds of attempted attacks on U.S. facilities in Iraq have been attributed to Iran-aligned groups in recent months.
The latest exchange comes amid heightened regional tensions and follows a White House meeting between President Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, where Iran was a primary topic of discussion. As diplomatic efforts continue, Tuesday’s missile attack underscores the fragile security situation and the potential for further escalation in the region.
